Friday 10 January 2014

Make mine a double.......

"See you later, oh and I'm not drinking this month."
How many times have you heard that since January 1st? What is it with the rush to abstain the moment the new year starts? Yes, we may all have started drinking earlier than the norm on Christmas Day (I like to start any birthday celebration at breakfast ......) and some of us even had one over the eight on December 31st, but honestly, going dry in January?
It's is not a great month and February is worse, surely if ever there was a time to crack open the Malbec or shake up a Martini it's now. It's winter, it's wet, it's dull, cold and getting colder. Isn't that what vodka is for, to get us through the dark months?
Surely spingtime is when we should cast aside the cocktail and cork the wine for a few weeks, clear up and clean out. Until then, as Withnail might say, I plan to enjoy the finest wines available to humanity.
Cheers...happy new year!!

Top tip: soup, the other tipple to get you through winter. Nigel Slater's dal and pumpkin (I used butternut squash.....) is utterly delicious.







16 comments:

  1. I usually make a resolution of some sort for the new year, but never to give up alcohol! So many lovely drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strangely I feel MORE like drinking in January! Contrary I suppose :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree, agree, agree !!!!! I'm on my second glass of Sauvingon Blanc …. last year I gave up for six months from March ….. I shall probably do the same again this year but, until then, ….. CHEERS !!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers! And Happy New Year to you too! Had a delicious G and T earlier; on the Pinot Grigio now.......... X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just have more water with it..
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I COMPLETELY agree with you! Happy New Year & Cheers x

    ReplyDelete
  7. hear hear! I'm sure alcohol was invented to get us through the cold winter months. Mind you you can't beat a cold tipple in the summer either. Happy New year! Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, just stumbled across your blog and you made me laugh, so it seemed only right to comment and tell you so! I have NO intention of abstaining during January, wine and the odd G&T might be the only things which drag me through the month... Alcohol and soup, it's the only way.
    Love Curtise xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, we must travel with a different set because not one friend of mine has threatened to sit out January. (And wine is medicinal, is it not?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There may be many things I could give up, but alcohol is not one of them, whatever the month. I have just put our Viognier in the barrel yesterday. Always a time to celebrate with a glass or two.
    happy new Year and here's hoping to meet up. I will be back in March

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have given up booze for Jan to give me a fighting chance to feel better than I did at the end of December (grim), I can see I'm going against the tide here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm doing a dry January for the first time. Mainly because I got to the end of December and couldn't remember my last alcohol-free day. And, sorry to say, I feel so much better for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes mine last for a week until I had a very boring then bad Friday. Must try harder. At least I haven't been drinking during the week...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have just completed a totally dry year. I was diagnosed with a heart problem last January that may be related to alcohol!!!! So I have not touched a drop since. The problem is now mending thankfully. I can recommend some great wine substitutes now (Sainsbury's own brand dealcoholized ) and they taste better as time goes on and your taste buds get re educated. Happy New Year xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, January is miserable enough - and I like drinking! Had chips and wine for tea the other night.

    ReplyDelete